Wednesday, 7 September 2016

Mudra Guest Designer : Uma Iyer

Hi all!!!

Today, am with our Guest Designer, Uma Iyer. She is a avid crafter and blogger. She explores different kinds of crafts like jewellery making, quilling and much more. Relatively new to stamping, but its very impressive to see her play with minimal supplies. I am so glad to have her in our blog today.


Here you go Uma!!

"Hi all,
This is Uma Iyer here from Krafttime. I am so excited to be a part of the Mudra family and honored to be the Guest Designer today. To tell you all a little about myself, I am crazy passionate about crafting, handmade products and jewelry making. I am a completely newbie into card making and paper crafting until recently after my son was born. The first ever stamp I purchased was from Varshitha when she was running the banner “Varna’s Creations”.  The stamps are of high quality and stamp perfectly every single time, even if you are inexperienced stamper like I am. The recent releases of Mudra stamps are drool worthy and what can I tell about the packaging? It is of exceptional quality.
Now on to my post for today, I have 4 projects for you and I am going to highlight one stampset that you can use in completely unexpected ways. Since I am a frugal crafter, I like to stretch my stamps to my maximum imagination so that it is worth everything we spend for.

Project 1 : Background building using tiny stamps



To create this card:
1.       I stamped the sentiment “You make me Happy” from the “ Sentiments” stamp set using Archival ink.
2.       Then, I  took the tiny flower stamp from the “Lotus Blooms” stamp set and stamped it all over the card in a horizontal pattern using a gradation of pigment inks in shades of yellow to red.
Doesn’t this look yummy? It is really simple and you can build your own backgrounds from similar small stamps that you get in the sets. Never ignore them!!


Project 2: Fat flowers:


This is one of my eureka moments. Can you imagine where this stamp is from the “Lotus bloom” set? I bet you are searching now!!!
Creating this card is sooo simple:
1.       Take the semicircle kind of stamp from the “Lotus Bloom” set ( YES!! you heard me right, this is no flower stamp) and stamp it multiple times to get a fat flower. The center is made by stamping it twice to form a circle. Vary the positions of stamping to get different looking flowers.
2.       I doodled the leaves here. You could use any other stamp if you wish.
3.       Color them using plain old water colors in unconventional colors. This gives you a fresh off-beat look

Project 3: “Padmaja”





Who said stamps are for creating cards, tags and mixed media projects only!! I am a passionate jewelry artist and when I looked at the lotus bud stamp I knew right away that this can make a magnificent pendant to be strung into the necklace. Take a look at the steps below to create your own.
Steps to create the pendant:
1.       Stamp the design you want onto a piece of card stock using any waterproof ink.
2.       Color them using your choice of coloring medium. Here I have used Faber castell watercolor pencils to color the flower and stem.
3.      Next part is the crucial part as this prepares your image to be waterproofed. Take any water based glue and apply on the area that you are going to use in a swiping fashion to cover the entire area. It may look gooey but be sure to coat the entire area well. Use multiple coats if you wish leaving drying time in between.
4.       Once it has dried completely, punch out the pendant shape that you desire from the stamped sheet as well as some more papers to give a width. For ex, here I have used 10 layers of papers that vary around 200-220 gsm. You can base it on your desired thickness.
5.       Attach eye pins for stringing the pendant after deciding whether you want it on a single dangling point or dual. Also if you want some kind of hangings below, make sure you provide the attachments while layering the papers. I find plain fevicol / fabric glue the best for this. There is no need to go for any specialty glue.

6.       You can waterproof the piece using either varnishes or resins. I have used resin here to give a  clear and concave effect that reflects lights. (For resin double check you glue protection layer else it will seep through the papers)
7.       String the pendant with your creativity and supplies in hand.
You can also watch the video here


Doesn’t this look gorgeous? I am sure no one will look at the “Lotus bloom” stampset for just stamping lotuses anymore!!!
I have one last project using the latest Mudra’s release. This is using the “Peacock” set designed by my dear friend “Atchaya”. This is so versatile and once again I did not want to create a peacock as it is so obvious, but wanted to create a patterned tag.
Here you go,

the feather bunch was stamped twice like a mirror image to get a full bunch. I have added the various sizes of circular patterns all over to create a traditional effect. I matted this onto purple card stock and dyed a piece of lace in purple using watercolors and added it to the tag.

Hope you all had a full blast with the projects.

Here are the list of Mudra Stamps used in the projects:



Love,
Uma"

Wow see what she made with those tiny stamps in Lotus Blooms Stamp set!! Isn't that awesome!!

Keep Watching this space for interesting updates!!!

23 comments:

  1. Wowww all are completely fabulous Uma.I love them totally.I love the way u have used the peacock stamp its gorgeous and i loveeee padmaja super pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so so much Atchaya! Awesome stampset and beautiful deisgnes ont he peacock!! Kudos!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful Uma. I like those flat flowers and peacock. Beautifully designed and neatly described.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Viji!!!!! Yes the fat flowers are my favourtie too!

      Delete
  3. What a gr8 use of stamps, love the creativity, so unique! Beautiful Padmaja set and I really love how u used the beautiful peacock feathers to create an ethnic card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thank you dear... Yes the peacock set lends it beautifully for ethnic designs..

      Delete
  4. Wow amazing creativity Uma! Love how you have extended the use of stamps in a lovely way! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are awesome creations. Creative way of using stamps

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa so much creativity :) love how innovative your ideas are; how you used the peacock feathers & that ripple from lotus set <3 <3 and that pendant is super cool :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Pretty Creations. Love the way you have used the tiny stamps. Congrats on your GD spot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks Satya... Yes ot was a pleasant surprise!

      Delete
  8. Happy yo see you guesting here Uma ! Loved the cards,specially the way you have streched your stamps ,inspiring and the pendant is Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks pooja!!! Lots of inspirations from you!

      Delete
  9. Fabulous projects. Love the way you have used the small stamp to create the BG. The flowers with semi circle stamp is too good. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks gayathri.. He flowers are my fav too!

      Delete
  10. lovely cards and the jewellery set is pretty uma.

    ReplyDelete