Wednesday, 22 February 2017

It's all about butterflies! + Mudra February Release - Day 3

Hi everyone,

Mirella here again, and I am so happy to be sharing my next set of cards with you all. Since most of you most likely don't know me too well, I have a confession to make - I have a weakness for butterflies! I love cards with these beautiful colourful creatures, and I think that they are truly versatile - therefore, I have quite a collection of butterfly stamps and dies in my stash, and I was delighted when I got to add some Mudra ones to it. 

Yes, you have guessed, today's cards will all showcase butterflies. And, truth be told, even though Mudra has a few lovely butterfly sets to choose from, I used only one of them on all 3 of my cards. I have, however, used it in different ways and on different materials. Let's have a look, shall we? 

Card 1 - Stamping on acetate









1. I created the front panel by blending on some Distress Inks with my blending tool (I used Cracked Pistachio, Twisted Citron and Mustard Seed).
2. I lightly spritzed it with water mixed with Perfect Pearls through the Geo Pattern stencil by Mudra (you can barely see the pattern, but that was the plan!), and then I added some additional droplets of water on top, for more interest.
3. I stamped one of the butterflies on a piece of acetate with black StazOn ink and fussy-cut it.
4. I stamped the sentiment with Versafine Onyx black ink, directly on the front panel.
5. I die cut the panel with a stitched die, keeping both pieces that the die created, and then turned the thin frame 180 degrees.
6. I assembled all the elements on a card base and added some Ranger Enamel Accents in matching colours.


Card 2 - Stamping on vellum






1. I started with heat embossing the butterfly with gold embossing powder onto a piece of vellum. I then fussy cut the butterfly, and coloured it on the back with Copic markers - I chose pink, purple and yellow for the colouring (TIP: Make sure you choose strong colours for this, as they will be toned down by the vellum, and bear in mind that the colours will also be changed by the colour of your background).
2. I cut out the smaller stitched panel from white cardstock and saturated it with Peacock Feathers Distress Ink, by pressing the ink pad directly on the paper.
3. I placed the Geo Pattern stencil on top of my panel, and created a pattern on it by dabbing it carefully with a wet piece of kitchen towel (the water was mixed with Perfect Pearls) - you can see the lovely result in the close up picture.
4. I stamped the sentiment on a strip of vellum and wrapped it around the smaller panel.
5. I die cut a scalloped frame out of some golden glitter paper and assembled all of the pieces together on a top folding cream card base.


Card 3 - Spinner






1. I created the spinning element by stamping and fussy cutting 2 butterflies. I stamped them with Versafine Onyx black ink and heat embossed them with clear embossing powder (the heat embossing helped with keeping the black nice & dark even after the colouring of the image, and it added a nice shine & sturdiness to the image, too!). I then blended on two Distress Inks - Wilted Violet and Mustard Seed. Finally, I adhered the two butterflies together, back to back, using strong liquid adhesive, and making sure that I sandwiched a piece of thin string between them. Note: The butterflies are not 100% symmetrical, so I coloured the back of the cut out shapes with a black marker - that way, even if a bit of the butterfly on the back sticks out, it's not visible on the front, as there's no white paper peeking through.
2. I die cut a circle in the card base, and a matching one in a sheet of complimentary patterned paper.
3. I sandwiched the ends of the string between the patterned paper and the card base.
4. On the inside of the card, I repeatedly stamped the word Celebrate with Versamark Ink - this created a nice tone on tone watermark. 
5. As you can see in the first photo, I added the word "today" on the inside of the card, but in a place where it is not visible when the card is closed - once the recipient opens the card, they'll be able to see the full sentiment which is "Celebrate today".
6. I created a white panel for the message on the back of the card base.


Stamps and stencils used:






I hope you like these - I had loads of fun creating these cards, and it will be very hard for me to part with them now and send them out! :o)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's see the final release for February 2017


Universal Love 6”x4”
Design by Ameera Jabeen

Co-ordination by Ujjwal Gupta

 Beautifully Hand-lettered Love sentiments with a unique Calligraphic touch!!!
 This is just perfect for Layouts, Scrapbook albums and Cards!

Sentiments are essential not only in life but also in paper crafting! 
Pre-order your copy from our retailers soon...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Don't forget about our current challenge - "LOVE" - there is still some time to enter your creations! 



Mudra stamps are now available at the following Retailers:

Art and Craft Store - Noida
Hindustan Trading Company, Chennai
The Craft Store, Srilanka 

Have a great day,

Mirella

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you like them!

      Delete
  2. Stunning cards :)) Love the colors you chose <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Butterflies make me think of happy colours :-)

      Delete
  3. Awesome techniques, love all the creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment

      Delete
  4. Beautiful Cards, Mirella!!! Many Congratulations, Ameera...Long time desire to see your script as stamps!!! Way to go girlie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sathya! And I agree, the sentiments are lovely!

      Delete
  5. Awesome Mirella!!! The last one is the winner to me! Loved every bit of the project <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ria, it's my favourite one, too! :-)

      Delete
  6. Lovely card, Mirella!! I love each design and technique of your cards. The spinner card is my favorite. Thank you for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's definitely my favourite too! :-) thanks for your lovely comment!

      Delete
  7. Your butterfly cards are beautiful Mirella - my favourite is the first - gorgeous distress colours and the fab acetate butterfly - they are a winning combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Linda! I think the spinner is my favourite, but I love the first one, too!

      Delete
  8. Stunning cards and perfect execution Mirella!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awww! look at that spinner card!!! loved it !! super cool!!
    And a wonderful technique of stamping on acetate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Manu! I had fun with these butterflies for sure!

      Delete